Health coaching: Employees’ loss is your gain
Posted on Jan 23, 2017 | Written by Cherie Buraglio | Comments (0)
We have found that among our clients, health coaching offers measurable cost savings, greater impact compared to other wellness program participants and a very high satisfaction among employees. Your employees’ loss, literally, is your gain.
Health coaching presents more opportunities for cost savings
When considering how various components of wellness programs impact medical and pharmacy costs, we have found that, based on the analysis of our clients, the 70:30 rule applies to coaching:
- Overall, 30% of our client participants enroll in coaching
- 70% of cost savings come from coaching participants
Our clients whose wellness program participants worked with coaches recognized the incremental 6.1% of cost savings:
- $586 – Average savings per year for coaching participants, or 11.3% of medical costs
- $261 – Average savings per year for non-coached participants, or 5.2% of medical costs
Coached participants experience greater health impact compared to non-coached wellness program participants
Analysis of HealthFitness clients found coached participants:
- On average, gained 70% less weight (.24 lbs. for the coached participant compared to .80 lbs. for non-coached participants.) That’s over half a pound per year!
- Among 123,798 total program participants studied as part of our research, nearly 20% (24,472 participants) worked with coaches and on average lost approximately 8 lbs. when also adding whole grains, fruit and vegetables to their diet, participating in strength training and also taking part in the Colorful Choices™ six-week challenge, which helps participants make produce a part of their daily diet.
Our clients’ program participants are satisfied with our coaches
According to our most recent client survey, participants value the combination of our experienced, passionate coaches and technological resources.
- 93% are satisfied with their health coach
- 90% reach their health goals
- 91% are satisfied with resources, information and tools available online
- 84% report improved productivity after working with their health coach
Learn more about health coaching
Please contact us to learn more about health coaching and determine if it’s the right solution for you.
As Senior Director, Product Management, Cherie is charged with providing exceptional participant experience and driving product strategy for coaching and screening products. With nearly 25 years of experience in public health and the wellness industry, she has worked closely with industry thought leaders and is experienced in assessment development, scoring algorithms, messaging, health management, coaching and reporting tool design. Cherie is a military veteran with degrees in biology, community health education and a master’s degree in adult education.